Cypress essential oil - Cupressus sempervirens L. - Madagascar
100% pure and natural
The cypress is a perennial, cone-shaped tree that can reach a height of 28 metres. The Phoenicians and Cretans used cypress wood to build ships and houses, while the Egyptians made sarcophagi and the Greeks used it to carve statues of their gods. In Madagascar, cypress is used as a hedge and natural fence for gardens. Its leaves and twigs to produce the essential oil of cypress.
The essential oil of Cypress of Provence is highly concentrated in alpha-pinene and delta-3-carene. These different molecules give it the following main properties:
- Expectorant +++ (α-pinene, monoterpenic carbides): the essential oil of Cypress of Provence, via alpha-pinene, regulates the secretion of bronchial tubes and stimulates the mucin glands which induces an expectorant activity by coughing.
- Venous Decongestant +++ (α-pinene, monoterpenic carbides): thanks to alpha-pinene, the essential oil of Cypress of Provence has a venous decongestant action useful against venous diseases with edema.
- Anti-Inflammatory ++ (monoterpenic carbides): the essential oil of Cypress of Provence has a significant anti-inflammatory action. It inhibits 5-lipo-oxygenase and the synthesis of leukotrienes.
- Antiviral, Anti-Infectious ++ (α-pinene, monoterpene carbides): alpha-pinene is an antiviral HSV-1 and it is certain that the more an essential oil contains, the more antiviral and anti-infectious it is. In this case, the essential oil of Cypress of Provence contains 40 to 65% alpha-pinene.
- Antifungal, Bactericidal ++ (monoterpenic carbides): the essential oil of Cypress of Provence has a very effective action against bacteria and fungi reinforced by the action of monoterpenes that compose it.
- Spasmolytic + (monoterpenic esters): the essential oil of Cypress de Provence thanks to alpha-terpenyl acetate intervenes through ion channels on the nervous system to counter muscle spasms.
But also these secondary properties
- Latin name: Cupressus sempervirens L.
- Other name: Cypress always green
- Botanical family: Cupressaceae
- Distilled part: Branches
- Country of origin: Madagascar
- α-pinene: 40 to 65
- δ-3-hull: 12 to 25
- Density at 20°C: 0.860 to 0.886
- Refractive index at 20°C: 1.468 to 1.478
- Rotating power at 20°C: 0° to 30°.
- Flash point: +35°C
- Appearance: liquid
- Colour: pale yellow to orange yellow
- Odour: fresh, woody, mellow, resinous